ACE Celebrates World Oceans Day
Posted June 7, 2018
Preventing plastic pollution and encouraging solutions for a healthy ocean.
What is it?
World Oceans Day is an annual global initiative that promotes the protection and preservation of our oceans. This year’s theme is preventing plastic pollution.
Plastic pollution occurs when plastic accumulates in the environment and negatively impacts wildlife, humans, or habitat. Plastic is not biodegradable, so when it ends up in the environment, it does not go away easily. But how does all this plastic end up in our oceans?
There are two main ways:
- Littering – when people throw trash on the streets rainwater and wind carry plastic into drains which leads to rivers
- Microscopic plastic – many everyday products (cotton balls, cosmetics, cleaning products, clothing) include microfibers which are made of plastic that is too small to be filtered.
When plastic ends up in oceans it can hurt marine life many ways like, entanglement, ingestion, or exposure to the many chemicals found in plastic. One million sea birds and 100,000 marine animals are killed annually from plastic pollution. Sea birds mistake floating plastic as prey and even when they do eat fish many of these fish have already consumed plastic.
What can you do?
Plastic pollution is a major problem endangering our marine wildlife but we can reverse the effects. Here are some steps you can take to minimize your plastic footprint.
- Reuse - Go through your daily routine and see where you could invest in something reusable like water bottles, grocery bags, they even make reusable sandwich bags!
- Recycle - Know what, where, and how to recycle. Look at the labels of your everyday products and see what can be recycled. Check out How2Recycle to learn more about proper recycling practices.
- Shop Smart - Shop with sustainability in mind and buy products from one of the many companies that have made their products recyclable. If possible, buy used! Thrift stores, consignment stores, and other many other stores sell recycled and refurbished products.